Tuesday, May 12, 2009

artists #8


I have been doing a lot of reading and research on Matisse this semester and it has made a large influence in the direction of my work in all of my classes. Although not a "new media" artists in the terms of this course, Matisse was very advanced and innovative in his techniques and ideas. In this piece we see his use of collage later in his career, and in terms of visual thinking I think this piece speaks volumes. We can see how the artist's eyes viewed his subject both in shape and color. Matisse stated that "making order out of chaos..that is creation" and I think that carries over into the digital world. Not only do new media artists work with classic artistic elements, but they can now use sound, programming, and computers to express how they see the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment