Friday, March 13, 2009

scrapbook 1

This particular apple was actually mailed to me from South Carolina by my mother, it is a Honey Crisp apple and you can't find them very often up here. The pattern and coloring on the apple caught my attention because the colors were very bright and I thought the contrast would look striking against the black background of the scanner. 
Most simply, we regard this as a piece of food, something to sustain ourselves. However, because it is a piece of fruit it is regarded as better than many choices for food out there. 
An apple is not art, unless you consider the occasional appearance in a still life. But it does deserve our attention because I think when we come across a piece of fruit that was home grown or is particularly fresh, it tends to evoke feelings of goodness and reminds us of nature. Fresh produce, and apples in particular remind me of summers at my grandparents where they grew most food themselves and we could eat apples right off the tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment